The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  12    13    14    15    16  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Random Facebook Observations
doctorb
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1563
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Where everyone is rich but me

Mood: need coffee

posted on 2-8-2012 at 01:48 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Ever since that ribbon on the right showed up I have to be more careful what I say. I used to think I could comment on a friend's status without other people that aren't friends with him seeing it. Now I'm seeing my friends comments on a page of someone I've never heard of and if you hover over it the whole thing pops up. So you can't say to a friend, "Fuck people who want prayer for their cat. I'm too busy praying for the Bulls!" and have a good laugh because it'll show up on her little ribbon on the right.

Stupid facebook. I'm sure they'll drop all pretense of privacy soon enough and then 100 million users will whine but won't want to stop playing castleville so they won't delete their account.

The "B" is for Bargain!

Chris Is Good517
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12369
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR
Member Is Online

Mood:

posted on 2-8-2012 at 03:35 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by doctorb
Ever since that ribbon on the right showed up I have to be more careful what I say. I used to think I could comment on a friend's status without other people that aren't friends with him seeing it. Now I'm seeing my friends comments on a page of someone I've never heard of and if you hover over it the whole thing pops up. So you can't say to a friend, "Fuck people who want prayer for their cat. I'm too busy praying for the Bulls!" and have a good laugh because it'll show up on her little ribbon on the right.

Yeah, I really don't like that realtime sidebar. It's really voyeuristic and creepy. I mean, it is kinda funny to see which of your bros are liking pictures girls are posting of themselves in bikinis and shit, but I really have to reign it in when commenting on peoples' statuses now because you just don't know who's sitting there bored and/or nosy, watching everything everybody is doing.

Monday Night Flaw, a podcast about professional wrestling starring OO's own Figure Foreskin as Andy the Smarmy Host and Chris Is Good517 as Cousin Balki.

atothej
The Great One

Posts 3058
Registered 12-21-2002
Location Philly

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 2-8-2012 at 06:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Is Good517
A girl that I'm friends with just posted a status asking her friends to pray for her cat, because the cat has a dentist appointment tomorrow.

This is why I'm glad I have you guys to vent to.

I hope you told her that you were going to sacrifice a different cat to Pan so that her cat will be fine.

Your momma's so fat, Dave Meltzer gave her struggling to put her jeans on in the morning five stars. -- FF

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   atothej 's Aim
salmonjunkie

Posts 10588
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: charged

posted on 2-8-2012 at 07:38 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
A girl that I'm friends with just posted a status asking her friends to pray for her cat, because the cat has a dentist appointment tomorrow.

This is why I'm glad I have you guys to vent to.

I'm so tempted to put up a lolcat dentist picture, but that is so 2009.

unOOfficial guide to the WWE titles.

WWE Championship - Champion of the WWE Universe.
World Championship - Champion of the Planet Earth in the WWE Universe.
Intercontinental Championship - Champion of the 7 continents (even the 2 or 3 that don't matter) on the planet Earth in the WWE Universe.
US Championship - Champion of the United States of America, the best and awesomest place on the planet Earth in the WWE Universe.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 6132
Registered 1-11-2004
Location Hippieville

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 2-9-2012 at 02:37 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
DON'T DEFRIEND PEOPLE OR YOU WILL DIE

Don't Mess With Texas

salmonjunkie

Posts 10588
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 2-9-2012 at 06:16 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by williamssl
DON'T DEFRIEND PEOPLE OR YOU WILL DIE

So I guess this means we'll still be Facebook friends.

Intercontinental Championship - Champion of the 7 continents (even the 2 or 3 that don't matter) on the planet Earth in the WWE Universe.
US Championship - Champion of the United States of America, the best and awesomest place on the planet Earth in the WWE Universe.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Thom
The Immortal One

Posts 4395
Registered 1-14-2003
Location In my bunk

Mood: datazz

posted on 2-9-2012 at 03:06 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I "LIKE" sj's comment.

"Bring it, motherfucker." - Mae Young to Bob Holly

Chris Is Good517

Posts 12369
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR
Member Is Online

Mood:

posted on 2-13-2012 at 06:17 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote

Oh hey guys, did you know that celebrity deaths get TONS of media coverage but dozens of soldiers die EVERY DAY and there's no coverage for them? Well if you didn't, then spend FIVE FUCKING MINUTES ON FACEBOOK ANY TIME A CELEBRITY DIES

Jesus Christ, I appreciate what the men and women of our armed forces do for us but they didn't sign up for the goddamned glamor. They knew what they were getting into. I'm glad there are people out there who want to take a stand for the military, but every single time a celebrity dies, you can pretty much guarantee that before the body is cool, somebody is going to try to turn it into a circle jerk for the troops.

Monday Night Flaw, a podcast about professional wrestling starring OO's own Figure Foreskin as Andy the Smarmy Host and Chris Is Good517 as Cousin Balki.

denverpunk
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1940
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

Mood: Stoked

posted on 2-13-2012 at 10:46 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Right on, CiG -- that kind of self-righteous bullshit gets the eyes rolling. On the other end of the spectrum, though:

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 8830
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 2-14-2012 at 06:16 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Here's a little mystery I've encountered - A girl I met in Jacksonville a few years back and was friends with on Facebook got pregnant a few month back. So, of course, the embryo pictures soon followed, as well as her asking everyone where a good place to get baby clothes was, and all the other annoying things pregnant women do on Facebook.

Cut to about a week ago, I noticed she had been quiet for a while. Sure enough, I checked her page and she hadn't posted anything in two weeks. So tonight, I checked again and her page is gone. I'm thinking she must've defriended me but I checked my buddy's page who was a mutual friend and she's not on there either. Apparently, she has left Facebook.

My sad (and fairly obvious) theory - She suffered a miscarriage and fled Facebook to regroup her life. Which is sad and I may sound like an insentive jerk (wait, what am I talking about, I'm surrounded by insensitive jerks) but that's always a risk I think about when I see these idiot women posting all these pictures of their fetus. How about we wait until the baby is safely on terra firma and breathing on its own before bragging about it?

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

salmonjunkie

Posts 10588
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 2-14-2012 at 10:18 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:

Oh hey guys, did you know that celebrity deaths get TONS of media coverage but dozens of soldiers die EVERY DAY and there's no coverage for them? Well if you didn't, then spend FIVE FUCKING MINUTES ON FACEBOOK ANY TIME A CELEBRITY DIES

Jesus Christ, I appreciate what the men and women of our armed forces do for us but they didn't sign up for the goddamned glamor. They knew what they were getting into. I'm glad there are people out there who want to take a stand for the military, but every single time a celebrity dies, you can pretty much guarantee that before the body is cool, somebody is going to try to turn it into a circle jerk for the troops.

You also get the obligatory "Some celebrity died, and I don't give a shit" status update by one person determined to make sure everyone knows he/she is too cool for school.

atothej
The Great One

Posts 3058
Registered 12-21-2002
Location Philly

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 2-14-2012 at 02:44 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gobbledygooker
Here's a little mystery I've encountered - A girl I met in Jacksonville a few years back and was friends with on Facebook got pregnant a few month back. So, of course, the embryo pictures soon followed, as well as her asking everyone where a good place to get baby clothes was, and all the other annoying things pregnant women do on Facebook.

Not to discount the horrible rest of that story (assuming your theory's correct), but this part reminded me of a friend who not only did the obligatory ultrasound picture, but also posted a picture of her positive pregnancy test. A. pregnancy. test. There's no way I'm going to be happy for a picture of a fucking pee stick, keep some shit to yourself.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   atothej 's Aim
OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3063
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: Tired

posted on 2-14-2012 at 04:18 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Here is the one defense I have for the ultrasound pictures (not the pee test, that is undefensable), my wife and I use Facebook to post pictures that we want to share with our family and it is easier to do that then make copies, or send in an email, or wait until everyone is together (for the fetus' funeral apparently... too soon?) so it has become a lazy answer to spreading the news.

When my ex was pregnant with my son I did share those grainy black and white not sure what we are looking at pictures with almost everyone, I was a very proud papa to be and wanted to share my happiness, could that have been taken as prickish, probably, I didn't care. So while she obviously is going through some pain and I do feel for her, I can't blame her for wanting to share that joy, as short lived (too soon again?) as it was.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic – Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

Flash
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1797
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Brantford, Ontario

Mood:

posted on 2-14-2012 at 05:47 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm at work so can't find a video I can open, but there was another recent facebook story that is making the rounds...

Apparently a North Carolina teen pissed off her dad enough because of a FB rant that he took her laptop filmed a video of him putting a few hollow points in it and then posted it to her facebook account... Bet she wishes she could defriend dad now huh?

doctorb
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1563
Registered 6-27-2007

posted on 2-16-2012 at 01:54 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I've seen a good dozen of these in the last week. The first one I thought was clever, then each subsequent one could have been just as clever if it were the first one I saw, but instead was increasingly annoying because of the unoriginality.

Then there's this:

[Edited on 2-16-2012 by doctorb]

The "B" is for Bargain!

Figure Foreskin
Prefers punkerhardcore Penis

Posts 2647
Registered 5-4-2004
Location 5-4-2004

Mood: Gelatinous

posted on 3-2-2012 at 04:59 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flash
I'm at work so can't find a video I can open, but there was another recent facebook story that is making the rounds...

Apparently a North Carolina teen pissed off her dad enough because of a FB rant that he took her laptop filmed a video of him putting a few hollow points in it and then posted it to her facebook account... Bet she wishes she could defriend dad now huh?

There ya go.

"Any time you agree with Krydor, you're wrong."

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
doctorb
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1563
Registered 6-27-2007

posted on 3-13-2012 at 08:35 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
http://digitallife.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/12/10655624-not-liked-so-much-on-facebook-politics?fb_ref=.T19Aq9Hn2sU.like&fb_source=home_onelin e

According to a new study from the Pew Research Center’s Internet & American Life Project, social networking users have taken those actions for at least one of these reasons:

10 percent because a person posted too frequently about political subjects.
9 percent because a person posted something about politics or issues that they disagreed with or found offensive.
8 percent because they argued about political issues on the site with the user or someone the user knows.
5 percent because a connection posted something about politics that the user worried would offend other friends.
4 percent because they disagreed with something the user posted about politics.

"At the other end of the scale," Pew said in the report, "Social networking sites and politics," 16 percent of social networking users have "friended or followed someone because that person shared the user’s political views."

Personally, I'd rather read your political thoughts than 10 times a day about how bad your life is, or 5 pictures a day of the awesome vacation you're having even though you told me a week ago that business was in the tank and you couldn't make payroll.

The "B" is for Bargain!

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 3305
Registered 1-19-2008
Location basement

Mood: Hurr durr derp

posted on 3-13-2012 at 10:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, what's wrong with talking politics? It's hilarious and entertains everyone in the room. It beats hearing about someone's stupid kids, or how the cat threw up on the carpet right in front of the teevee, or how we're having a really hard time choosing between the latest Volvo or the newest Saab. I mean seriously, my own personal life is fucked up enough for me, I don't need to hear about yours.
sszanto
And I am AWESOME

Posts 175
Registered 8-23-2011

Mood: maniacal laugh

posted on 6-21-2012 at 11:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gobbledygooker
My sad (and fairly obvious) theory - She suffered a miscarriage and fled Facebook to regroup her life. Which is sad and I may sound like an insentive jerk (wait, what am I talking about, I'm surrounded by insensitive jerks) but that's always a risk I think about when I see these idiot women posting all these pictures of their fetus. How about we wait until the baby is safely on terra firma and breathing on its own before bragging about it?

I think you are probably right. My wife and I went through a similar scenario. We, much like the couple in the movie Idiocracy, waited until we were both out of school, and had good jobs, and bought our house before we started trying to get pregnant. It didn't happen right away, and by the time it did over a year later, everyone we knew was aware we were trying. We posted sonogram pictures on facebook, and sure enough she miscarried on the first day of the second trimester. We were heartbroken, and when I was by her side while she self-induced labor in order to pass the dead fetus, well, let's just say my eyes are watering while I type this. It was one of the most traumatic nights of my life.

We didn't leave fb all together. My reaction was, for months I posted one thing per day, I wrote a song lyric on my wife's wall. That was like three years ago, and she is currently one week from the halfway point of a pregnancy that is going normally. At this point we still have not made a public statement or posted pics on fb.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'. -Bob Newhart

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3063
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

posted on 6-21-2012 at 03:47 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I have a friend at work that had to make the decision (with his wife) to abort their first baby last year because of the issue of being unable to carry the baby to term so they decided to abort it early instead of waiting.

Luckily she had surgery to correct the problem and last month had a beautiful healthy baby girl.

So my hopes and prayers to you and your wife that you are all healthy.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic – Tryon Edwards

BBMN
HAVES A CROOKED DICK!! !

Posts 1794
Registered 6-27-2007
Location 1984

Mood: Prayer Fight

posted on 11-13-2012 at 06:17 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote

Oh Japan....

Live Better.

BBMN
HAVES A CROOKED DICK!! !

Posts 1794
Registered 6-27-2007
Location 1984

Mood: Prayer Fight

posted on 11-19-2012 at 10:04 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
What are your guys' thoughts on how to handle people that "share" debunked political bullshit?

I work with this guy and have hung out with him in social settings like the occasional party. He's very nice and well meaning, but copy/pastes idiotic bullshit from time to time. And it's not just political. Have a friend that posted "FACEBOOK IS GOING TO CHARGE US AND HERE IS THE PRICES!" posts? He posts shit like that too. I've politely mentioned snopes and trying to take a minute to read up before posting shit that sets off most people's bullshit detectors.

He's just posted about the 'debt ceiling' ordeal. He posted about it in April too. (It was resolved last year.) But this time he "shared" another user's status. And it turns out the user is a group of xenophobic militant assholes.

And my friend is definitely not a bad person. He just comes across stuff that is often bullshit, and says to himself that he needs to let everyone know about "insert debunked story here." I want to let it slide, but the connection to this group of assholes is driving me nuts.

Should I call him out? Or send a private message? Or let it slide once again.

Again, he's a nice guy, so this comes down to not wanting to look like a dick (by picking up on the poor idiot), but I am so tired of this shit (divisive and ignorant political stuff) and his general inability to think before posting regurgitated shit.

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3063
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

posted on 11-19-2012 at 01:51 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
My wife and I have been in the same situation and have handled it differently. I continue to post links to articles debunking said statement (usually to Snopes) in the comments to his post, basically repeating the same line "you need to check this out before posting" (being a dick), my wife used to do the same, but eventually got tired of trying to correct the stupid, she just blocked his posts (non-confrontational).

So I guess those two options is all I got for you.

Chris Is Good517

Posts 12369
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR
Member Is Online

Mood:

posted on 11-20-2012 at 06:10 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BBMN

etc.

This is so amazing. I'm choosing to believe it's real.

outback jack
The Great One

Posts 3811
Registered 3-10-2003
Location not Australia

Mood: old

posted on 1-12-2013 at 02:12 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Last week on a friend's page someone posted that she had passed away. This was someone I knew only through mutual friends on Facebook, so although I was sorry to see the bad news it was more like hearing about a public figure I liked passing away than losing someone personally close to me. (She was an entertainment publicist who sometimes used her account to tout her business but also posted a lot of funny jokes and observations.)

The somewhat creepy part is that, thanks to Facebook's frequently odd choices of when to put things in my news feed, one of her "likes" showed up in my news days after she passed away.

<<  12    13    14    15    16  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top